Image by Victory Beer on Flickr
Bill Covaleski, Brewmaster, President, and co-founder of Victory Brewing, will be downtown Tuesday evening to commandeer Rare Beer Tuesday at The Charleston Beer Exchange and host a beer dinner at Chai's Lounge and Tapas.
While "rockstar brewer" is quickly becoming a cliche, there are some folks that have actually earned the label. For these folks, it doesn't imply ego, debauchery, or groupies - it implies that they are the public face of brewing operations that are pushing the envelope of craft beer for all of us. And maybe some chubby, bearded groupies.
Bill falls into this category. He met Victory's other founder, Ron Barchet, in elementary school. Their lifelong friendship led to a trip to Europe in the late 80's during which the two were changed forever by the beer culture they witnessed there. Fast forward to 1996, and Victory Brewing was born, calling Downington, PA home.
While Victory has an established lineup of production brews, it looks like Bill is bringing some really special stuff down to our neck of the woods. It all starts at 5 p.m. with Rare Beer Tuesday at CBX, where Bill will be signing bottles and doling out swag. This week, it's actually Rare Beers Tuesday, as the boys are putting six great selections from Victory on the growler station:
- Mad King's Weiss (6.2% ABV, A-, 94)
- Pursuit Pale Ale (5.5% ABV, B, 77)
- Hallertauer Spalt Pils (5.3% ABV, B+, no score)
- Scarlet Fire Rauchbier (6.1% ABV, B+, 80)
- Smokin' Oats Porter (5.8% ABV, B+, no score)
- Old Horizontal Barleywine (10.5% ABV, A-, 1000
Once that's over, it's onward to Chai's for a seven-course extravaganza of beer pairings featuring a few of the same suspects:
- Stuffed Squash Blossoms, Stoned Crab Claws vs. Spalt Select Pils
- Chilled Avocado Soup vs. Whirlwind Wit (5% ABV, B, 85)
- Deconstructed B.L.T. Salad vs. Scarlet Fire Rauchbier
- Crab Cakes with a Sweet Corn Puree and Corn sweet Pepper Relish vs. Pursuit Pale Ale
- Carpaccio of Wreckfish, Ceviche-Style with Watermelon and Cucumber vs. Sunrise Weissbier (5.7% ABV, B+, 93)
- Grilled Leg of lamb with Local Heirloom potatoes & a Lamb and Goat Cheese Reduction vs. Wild Devil (6.7% ABV, B+, 97)
- Surprise Duo of Desert & Pairing (?, ?, ?)