Image by Flickr user Mr. Kris
There's no place like the Holy City for the holidays. Speaking of which, the city of Charleston's holiday festivities officially kick off Saturday, December 3rd, with the 25th Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony in Marion Square.
So, what else does the city have planned to celebrate the season? Below you'll find the list of family-oriented events scheduled during the month of December's 'Holiday Magic in Historic Charleston.'
- Holiday Farmers Market—December 3 through 18: Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sundays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Marion Square.
- 25th Annual City of Charleston Tree Lighting Ceremony—December 3 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Marion Square.
- 31st Annual Holiday Parade of Boats—December 3: Parade begins along Mt. Pleasant waterfront at 5 p.m.; viewing from the peninsula begins at 6:30 p.m.
- Holiday Entertainment and Visits with Santa—December 4 through 18: Fridays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Sunday, December 4: 10am to 2pm). Marion Square.
- 31st Annual Charleston Christmas Parade—December 4 from 2 to 4 p.m. Parade route: Starts at Calhoun and Meeting Streets and proceeds down King Street to Broad Street, ending on Lockwood Blvd. Sponsored by the Tri-County Fire Chiefs Association.
- Chanukah in the Square—December 20 from 4 to 6 p.m. Marion Square. Sponsored by Piggly Wiggly.
- Happy New Year, Charleston!—December 31 from 4 to 10:30 p.m. Marion Square and surrounding locations.
Free parking vouchers, valid in many downtown garages, are provided as a gift to citizens from the City of Charleston. These vouchers are valid November 25 through December 31, 2011 and are available online.